DISCO Student Travel Grants

DISCO awards a number of small grants every year, of up to $300, to undergraduate and graduate students presenting papers or conducting research. Applications for the Autumn 2017 grant cycle were due Tuesday, October 31, 2017The deadline for Spring 2018 grant applications will be announced early in the Spring term.



To be eligible, undergraduate students must be enrolled in one of six DISCO interdisciplinary programs—American Indian Studies (minor), Asian American Studies (minor), Disability Studies (minor), Latina/o Studies (minor) and/or Sexuality Studies (minor or major). Graduate students must be enrolled in the GIS in Disability Studies, Latina/o Studies, or Sexuality Studies and/or delivering a paper or doing research on a topic relevant to American Indian Studies, Asian American Studies, Disability Studies, Latina/o Studies, and/or Sexuality Studies.

Complete applications will consists of the following:

1.     A completed online application form.

2.     Other documents, uploaded and attached to the electronic application form, including:

a.     verification that the applicant’s paper has been accepted for conference presentation (a letter of acceptance or a link to the conference program where the applicant’s name is listed) or that the applicant has permission to conduct research at the relevant site (library, archives, etc.)

b.     both a project description of 500-1000 words and a bibliography of no more than one page of major primary and/or secondary sources

c.     verification of IRB approval for the research project (if applicable)

d.     résumé or c.v.

3.     A short letter of support from the applicant’s adviser or from a faculty member with whom the applicant has worked closely on the conference paper or research project (please address to Nick Spitulski (spitulski.1@osu.edu), DISCO, 455 Hagerty Hall, 1775 College Road).

Awards are competitive (i.e., reviewed by a selection committee) and will be decided on the basis of the significance of the travel to the student's academic and/or professional development and the potential for the student's work to contribute to greater understanding of the field in which they are working. Applications will be reviewed until the budget is depleted. Please also note that previous recipients are permitted to reapply for these grants, but that, all else equal, first-time applicants will receive priority consideration.

Travel Warning Policy and Supplemental International Insurance

In countries under a current Department of State Travel Warning or other locations designated high risk, undergraduate students cannot use scholarship awards for study abroad programs and/or individual international projects outside of venues approved by Ohio State. Approved programs are communicated on the OIA website via the study abroad search engine: http://oia.osu.edu/getting-started/search-programs.html

Graduate and professional students may petition the International Travel Policy Committee for approval a minimum of three months prior to proposed travel. Countries currently on Department of State Travel Warning can be viewed at: www.travel.state.gov. For further information on the policy and/or the petition process, please contact Dru Simmons, international risk manager, Office of Risk Management and Insurance.

Ohio State students traveling to international locations for the purpose of study abroad, undergraduate or graduate/dissertation research, internships or independent study are required to enroll in the university's supplemental international insurance which is provided through HTH Worldwide. The insurance includes coverage for medical, evacuation, repatriation, emergency assistance, and political security and natural disaster. Students participating in study abroad programming coordinated through the Office of International Affairs are automatically enrolled in the supplemental international insurance. Students who are traveling abroad independently may enroll on-line for the supplemental insurance.

**For additional information, please visit the Office of International Affair's Travel Advisory Warnings and Petitions webpage as well as their Traveler's Insurance webpage.